Accademia Gallery – new setting

Accademia Gallery – new setting

The Galleria dell’Accademia features the redevelopment of the so-called Hall of the Colossus (which takes its name from the chalk of an ancient statue, one of the Dioscuri of Monte Cavallo,no longer present in the gallery). The great altarpiece painted in 1500 by Pietro Perugino for the high altar of the church of the Benedictine abbey of Vallombrosa, depicting the Assumption of the Virgin among angels and God Father with four Saint is now recomposed to the splendid portraits of Don Biagio Milan and Monaco Baldassarre which are now placed at the foot of the panel, in the assumed position at the base of the pillars of rich tabernacle frame ¬†described by Vasari and lost.